New technologies have always changed the way we work, the last time with the introduction of the Internet, before that with the triumph of computers, and early in the last century with the electrification of factories. In modern times, AI technology. The new technologies – Data Analytics, Robotics, Robotic Process Automation, Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing and Computer Vision – are technologies that have multiple applications and the most far-reaching consequences for the economy, the organization of companies and the labor market. A complete and realistic picture of future labor market developments must include three factors (If no more).
First, demand for products and services – and thus indirectly for occupations – is changing, not least as a result of demographic developments. Second, occupations are not affected in their entirety by technological developments because they are made up of a wide variety of activities that are affected differently by technologies. Third, digital technologies are very diverse, and individual ones such as robotics or data analytics have very different effects on occupations and job profiles. The use of new technologies does not necessarily have to replace an activity, but can expand or support it. It also remains to be seen how strongly the pandemic will push new boundaries and ideas. This could continue until the year 2035.
6 trends for the world of work up to 2035
- growth in jobs of the future should more than compensate for job losses. The number of jobs that can be automated less and are in higher demand, and thus are jobs of the future, is expected to grow more than the number of jobs that will be eliminated through automation.
- the jobs of the future require interaction with other people and empathy – and can only be automated to a limited extent. Approximately 50-70 percent of work time in the occupations considered cannot be replaced by technology. Many of the non-substitutable jobs are characterized by a high degree of human interaction and empathy and are also likely to be in greater demand in the future.
- the growth in jobs will take place primarily in healthcare, education and management occupations. Healthcare occupations are expected to grow by 20-30 percent by 2035, while teaching and training occupations will grow by 20 percent.
- robotics and data analytics are the key technologies with the greatest impact Robotics and data analytics are the technologies with the greatest impact on tomorrow’s workforce and are driving automation. Of the total 35 percent of work time that can be replaced by technology, Robotics accounts for nearly half, and Data Analytics accounts for slightly less than a quarter.
- Tomorrow’s activities – less routine, more analytical thinking and human interaction
- entrepreneurs – if changing jobs seems impossible for many – the vocation of entrepreneur appears to be the solution. Can be or become a consideration. Automation primarily affects routine activities that follow the same patterns. The jobs of the future, are knowledge-intensive and require specialization, creativity, and analytical skills. AI technology will make various jobs disappear worldwide. But as I mentioned earlier, it will create new opportunities.
The 6 trends above are and will remain trends. This is not a guarantee, but inputs which needed to be considered. This is the contribution to the career prospects and opportunities that lie ahead. In my opinion, this is a fundamentally exciting starting point. The question should be, how this will be realizable.